Natural forests throughout the country are increasingly being depleted. Various types of development activity, such as dikes, highway, road construction, and other infrastructure development have further intensified deforestation, and destruction of natural forests in Bangladesh. Briefly, the other causes of deforestation are listed below.
- Overgrazing, illlegal felling, and fuel wood collection.
- Uncontrolled and wasteful commercial exploitation of forest resources, Monoculture and commercial plantation.
- High population pressure on forestlands.
- Conversion of forests and wetlands for agricultural use.
- Poverty and unemployment in the rural areas.
- Encroachment into forestland